About Me
Name: Milenka
Home: Santiago, Chile
About Me: I'm just a regular student, with the usual troubles, just trying to get good grades in her english class!
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Shoutbox

Welcome!

Links

Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

 

 

 
  miércoles, 1 de julio de 2009  
 
 
The role of music in my life


Music plays a really big role in my life. I can't go a day without listening to some of my favorite musicians. I can't walk long distances, or ride the metro or the bus without something playing on my headphones.
Life tends to be a little monotonous if I'm not listening to music.
My relationship with music It's so close, that I can relate certain songs to some stages in my life. Music brings memories and even some feelings. It can make me happy in a cloudy day, or It can make me really depressed on a sunny day.
So, that's why some albums or artists are for certain moods or seasons. If I'm happy I listen to artist like The boy Least Likely To, Jens Lekman, Los campesinos! and Blur. If I'm feeling a little bit down, I listen to Kings of Convenience, Anthony and The Johnsons and Javier Barría.

I always listen a wide variety of music genres, from chilean folklore to scandinavian pop.
Right now, I really like pop folk or soft pop music from Sweden and Norway, with singers like Ane Brun or Sondre Lerche. I really like brit music too, but I've been listening for some years a lot of indie.
As I said on one of my blogs, indie means independent, and like movies, there's independent music too. When music labels dominate the musicians, the music tends to be too sellable, too popular, and loses It's heart, and the real intentios of the writer behind the lyrics.
That's why indie musicians make really good music, that most people don't even now, because they hardly sell albums or get media support.

The only problem with indie musicians, It's that they don't tour worldwide, and if they do, they do it in the USA and Europe. Sometimes they come here, because Chile has the fame to be a country of poets, and with beautiful cities like Valparaiso and even Santiago, musicians get inspired. Or they get too many e-mails begging them to come to the end oh the world haha.

An example of this, It's the american indie band Calexico. They stayed in Valparaiso a couple of weeks last year, and they wrote songs for their new album, like "Victor Jara's Hands" and "Houses of Valparaiso". Another example It's a french band called Holden, who stayed a summer in Chile, and ended up recording an album. Now they have a really big fan base here.
The last independent musician to come to Chile, was Jens Lekman, but since I'm saving money to go to Depeche Mode in october, I didn't go. I was really sad. The funny thing is that Jens stayed some days here in Santiago, played a show, and he went back to Sweden, but he got a really good souvenir, the swineflu. So he's going to have a very boring summer.

I get most of my music from the internet. I have 11,6 GB of music, or something like 3.500 songs in MP3, so my music library is HUGE. I used to have way more, but my computer got a virus, and all my files got deleted. When there's a really good album, and I really like it, I feel a little bit guilty for downloading it for free from the internet, especially if is music from an independent musician who spends his own money to record albums. That's why I have some cd's, but music It's too expensive in Chile. When I travel to Argentina I buy A LOT of cd's, since It's so cheap there.

I don't go to concerts or music shows that often. I used to go to at least 2 or 3 every year, but now I don't have the money and the tickets are really expensive. Some of the artists I have seen live are Placebo (2 times), Oasis, The Strokes, Kings of Leon, The Bravery, Holden, Moby and Ian Brown.
I went to a little gig some weeks ago, to see a chilean artist called Javier Barría. He is not very famous in the mainstream, but well known in the indie scene. I really love his music, and everyone should listen it, but at the same time I like that I'm one of the few people who have one of his albums, so I don't want that other people hear about him. But, someday he will be playing big shows haha :(

Now I'm waiting for Depeche Mode, and for Blur, because they reunited some months ago, and they are starting a new World Tour. Well I hope I could save some money for that!

Etiquetas:

posted by Milenka @ 11:14  
0 Comments:

Publicar un comentario

<< Home